Sunday, January 26, 2014

TIE DYED IN PI…

I have decided to write this Blog in order give people a place to learn more about the photograph they are thinking about purchasing, have already purchased or have enjoyed viewing on my website larrypannellphotography.com.

My thoughts are to post a Photograph of the Week and include the location, photographic data and insight on what I was trying to convey with the image. Essentially the story behind the photograph.

I specialize in Landscape, Travel and Fine Art Photography. If you are viewing my blog before you have seen my website please take the time to browse the photographs there as well. I have been fortunate to have travelled many places and you will find photographs of Alaska, Canada, the Caribbean, Mexico, Hawaii, French Polynesia, the South Pacific, Southeast Asia, the Philippines and Vietnam. You may also enjoy my photography of the Western United States and my recent photographs of Yosemite National Park where I currently reside.

Thank you for your interest and all comments would be greatly appreciated

Larry

Enjoy.....

TIE DYED IN PI…
Location:       Negros Island
                         Philippines
When:            March 24, 2012
                         8:48am
Camera:         Canon 60d
                         EF 18-200mm
Focal:              24mm
Shutter:          1/640 sec
Aperture:       F/16
ISO:                 800


TIE DYED IN PI…

When the Rhapsody of the Seas pulled into drydock for a month in Singapore my contract had just ended a couple days before and I left the ship in Bali to start my vacation where I spent a few days on the island of Lembongan. Then I flew to Vietnam for three weeks after which I flew to Negros Island and Apo Island in the Phillippine (PI) for a week before returning to the ship and another seven month contract.

While on Negros Island I stayed at a small "resort" named the Monarch Bay Resort. It was about a dozen thatched huts which had bamboo floors and a layered palm frowns for the roof. Each hut also had running water, flush toilets, air conditioning and wifi. All this within 150 feet of the waters edge on a beautiful private beach.

There was also a restaurant/bar within a stones throw of the ocean to enjoy a cold San Miguel and escape the heat. The bartender told me that just before I arrived a group of motorcyclists were there for a week and every cabin was taken. As luck would have it during my four day stay I was the only person and had the place to myself.

One morning when talking to the owner about photography and the interior of the island he offered to rent his motorcycle to me for $4 a day....that was too hard to pass up. So the next day after breakfast I grabbed my camera gear, kick started the 500cc motorcycle and off I went.

As I traveled the islands main road between two villages I noticed a dirt road that headed towards the mountains. After traveling six or seven miles through the countryside I saw a farmer plowing his field behind a water buffalo wearing a brightly colored tie dyed shirt. I got off the bike, grabbed my gear and headed towards him about a half mile away. Looking up he noticed me when I was about half way walking down a muddy trail that wove through the rice paddies. I smiled and waved showing him my camera; he just nodded and kept plodding through the mud as if I wasn't there.

I carefully checked my settings putting the camera on aperture preferred to maintain the greatest depth of field and noted the shutter speed while shooting to avoid camera shake. I framed the image taking various shots from wide angle to encompass the countryside to zooming in tight getting intimate. I stayed in the field and kept shooting for about an hour and at times putting the camera down to take everything in. For myself I find that it is important not to get too wrapped up looking through the viewfinder, to stop for a few minutes and enjoy the surroundings.

After reviewing the photographs I decided on a shot that told the entire story. One where the myriad shades of vibrant green from the vast fields of rice lined by the dense jungle overwhelm you. One where the sky is filled with clouds threatening rain as the ruminants of a storm pass overhead. For me what really makes this photograph is combining these elements with the tie dye shirt and it's bright array of colors as the farmer struggles through the dull, brown mud preparing the rice paddy for the next planting.

I have a handful of photographs that I took in the Philippines that I really like that encompasses the feeling of being there whether it is in a muddy rice paddy or watching boys dive off of a bridge into a river or the solitude of a lone fisherman.

My beach hut at Monarch Bay
Negros Island Philippines


Thank you for your interest and all comments would be greatly appreciated

Larry

No comments:

Post a Comment