Monday, December 23, 2013

EAGLES FLIGHT



I have decided to write this Blog in order give people a place to learn more about the photograph they are thinking about purchasing, have already purchased or have enjoyed viewing on my website larrypannellphotography.com.

My thoughts are to post a Photograph of the Week and include the location, photographic data and insight on what I was trying to convey with the image. Essentially the story behind the photograph.

I specialize in Landscape, Travel and Fine Art Photography. If you are viewing my blog before you have seen my website please take the time to browse the photographs there as well. I have been fortunate to have traveled many places and you will find photographs of Alaska, Canada, the Caribbean, Mexico, Hawaii, French Polynesia, the South Pacific, Southeast Asia, the Philippines and Vietnam. You may also enjoy my photography of the Western United States and my recent photographs of Yosemite National Park where I currently reside.

Thank you for your interest and all comments would be greatly appreciated

Larry

Enjoy.....


EAGLES FLIGHT

Location:        Ketchikan
                         Alaska, US
When:             May 17, 2012
                         1:57pm
Camera:         Canon 60d
                         EF 18-200mm
Focal:              200mm
Shutter:          1/3200 sec
Aperture:       F 5.6
ISO:                 400


This was my second summer spending time in Alaska on the Royal Caribbean Rhapsody of the Seas and my second time to Ketchikan. It was raining lightly, which from what I understand is the norm in Ketchikan.

Having been there before one of my friends from the ship, Rachel Ellis from New Zealand decided to join me for lunch as I knew a great place for sushi. It was about a mile walk from the ship and we walked down the road that hugged the bay trying not to get soaked.

During lunch I had noticed a bald eagle sitting on top of a mooring. When we finished we decided to see how close we could get to take a picture. Once we had gotten closer we noticed that the eagle was on a seaplane dock and the gate was open. We looked at each other and said, "let's go".

We hurried down the ramp to the dock to see how close we could get and took care to stay away from the seaplane moored there as we were pushing our luck as it was.

We got our cameras out and looking up to our amazement we realized there were about twenty eagles feeding and chasing each other within fifty feet to one hundred yards away. Shutters clicking we began to shoot away. As we did I noticed out of the corner of my eye the door to the office open and someone heading our way. I told Rachel to shot as fast as she could because he was headed down here to kick us off the dock.

As he arrived he just smiled and said "isn't this incredible...we normally don't let anyone down here." And then he told us to get underneath the wing of the plane so we could take pictures and stay out of the rain. How great was that...

I had taken about a hundred shots praying all the time...please be in focus, please be in focus... Then all of a sudden it stopped just as quickly as it had started. The eagles scattered to the four winds and went on their way.

When we left I was shaking, hoping the exposures were okay, hoping everything was in focus and kept mumbling to Rachel how this was a once in a lifetime opportunity.

In this specific shot the eagle was maybe twenty feet off the water and headed straight at us. He eventually got so close that I have photographs where I could not even fit all of him into the frame.

This was a very special day and I am very thankful that I was able to experience this magnificent bird in its natural environment and being able to photograph it was just the icing on the cake....

Thank you for your interest and all comments would be greatly appreciated
Larry

No comments:

Post a Comment