Monday, December 30, 2013

FISHERMAN'S NET


I have decided to write this Blog in order give people a place to learn more about the photograph they are thinking about purchasing, have already purchased or have enjoyed viewing on my website larrypannellphotography.com.

My thoughts are to post a Photograph of the Week and include the location, photographic data and insight on what I was trying to convey with the image. Essentially the story behind the photograph.

I specialize in Landscape, Travel and Fine Art Photography. If you are viewing my blog before you have seen my website please take the time to browse the photographs there as well. I have been fortunate to have travelled many places and you will find photographs of Alaska, Canada, the Caribbean, Mexico, Hawaii, French Polynesia, the South Pacific, Southeast Asia, the Philippines and Vietnam. You may also enjoy my photography of the Western United States and my recent photographs of Yosemite National Park where I currently reside.

Thank you for your interest and all comments would be greatly appreciated

Larry

Enjoy…..

FISHERMANS NET

Location:        South Pacific
                        Isle of Pines, New Caledonia
When:             November 8, 2011
                        10:25am
Camera:         Canon 60d
                        EF 18-200mm
Focal:              18mm
Shutter:          1/250 sec
Aperture:       F 20
ISO:                 800

The Isle of Pines located in the South Pacific, not far off the eastern coast of Australia and is part of the island group of New Caledonia. It is a small almost featureless island except for the tall pines trees that covers most of it, hence it's name, Isle of Pines. It is a beautiful place with white sandy beaches and dense forests from the hills down to the waters edge.

Isle of Pines is a tendered port meaning that our ship, the Rhapsody of the Seas, was too large and the bay too shallow to allow it to moor on the islands small pier. We would drop anchor offshore and the ship would lower its lifeboats and shuttle or "tender" the guests and crew to shore on a twenty-minute boat ride.

On most of my visits to the island I would carry a Panasonic Lumix DMC TS3 camera and enjoy the beach with friends. I'd snorkel taking photographs of the underwater life in the warm, crystal clear water and eat fresh lobster prepared by the locals in stands along the tree lined bay enjoying a cold beer. Just another day in paradise.

This day was different. Instead of the clear, deep blue skies or one with a few white clouds here and there, the sky was dark and filled with dark, angry clouds. This was a perfect opportunity to photograph the island, so I grabbed my Canon and signed up for a tour of the coast to a local village.

Along the way we made several stops to photograph the scenery and to stretch our legs. At one of the stops I noticed that a local fisherman had stretched his net out to dry on a makeshift fence of driftwood. Drawn to the net and its colorful cork floats I dialed back the lens to take advantage of its wide-angle feature and began to compose the shot in my viewfinder. Getting low to the ground and close to the net I saw what I was looking to achieve. I double checked my settings and took a depth breath as it was a handheld shot and pressed the shutter release button.

The results.... the net stretched from one side of the frame to the other and the bright colors of the floats standing out against the gray skies and dark clouds of the oncoming storm. This is one of my favorite photographs.


Isle of Pines as I was being "tendered" to shore

Thank you for your interest and all comments would be greatly appreciated
Larry

No comments:

Post a Comment